a motorcycle journey 2up


Sunday, June 20, 2010

Gelnnallen, AK to Tok, AK & Tok, AK to Haines Junction, YT

Days 19 & 20 - June 18-19, 2010
Mileage Today: 147 + 295
Total Trip Mileage: 6,651

These two days have been palette cleanser/travel days for us. Not too much in the way of scenery. At least not compared to what we have been through.

Met these two guys when we pulled into Tok.



One of their bicycles was broken down. Apparently one of the pedals had stripped out the treads on arm side, and the pedal fell off. I was able to lend some tools, and we were quickly able to cross-thread in the new pedal (I believe there may have been an issue of metric threads vs. non-metric). Anyhow it got them off down the road. Oh yeah, forgot to mention they are riding from Deadhorse, AK (basically Prudhoe Bay) to the Southern tip of Argentina. It will take them 15 months.

At the visitor center in Tok:



A short day, and we arrive at camp with plenty of time to tinker with the bike,



set-up camp,



and shower like bears.



The next day we head back into Canada. Our destination for tonight will be Haines Junction, YT.

Breakfast:



Sweet sunshine, a welcomed site.



I guess this is a frequent enough occurrence that it necessitated a sign...



Some of the most tore up stretches of road we have been on. Frost heaves and construction.

Construction zone gravel stretch:






Scenic lunch break:



Making the best out of a boring day.



At this point that was the closest thing we have seen to law enforcement in Canada. I believe the fear of hitting a moose or something keeps most people honest.

The highlight of the day, Destruction Bay:



Heading back into Alaska tomorrow. We will spend 2 days in Haines and pick-up our ferry from there that will bring us back to the lower 48 - Bellingham, WA.

jordan

3 comments:

  1. I have spent most of my lazy Sunday afternoon catching up on yalls adventure. And might I add WOW!! The pictures are beautiful, and I must also say very inspiring, makes you want to do a little more traveling. Good luck to the both of you!! Have fun, and be safe!! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more!

    Monica (Horn) Loera

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your block accidentally yesterday (6/19) and started reading it. Tonight (6/20), my wife and I read your whole trip in one sitting. We are completely amazed and impressed by what you have done. I ride a Harley and you have done what I always have said I wanted to do, and now you have me thinking... By the way, We also live in McKinney, and would love to meet you guys someday. Have a safe trip home.
    Mark and Tania Bolla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, I meant "blog", not "block", as in "I'm a blockhead, and forgot to proofread my posting before I hit ENTER"

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Explorations by motorbike...

Bowser

Bowser