Day 12 – June 11, 2010
Mileage Today: 240
Total Trip Mileage: 4,298
The sun was out this morning when we got up. We stayed at the Coal River Campground last night, and at this campground they have an adjacent little walk-up burger stand thing which also serves breakfast. This is super nice because some mornings you just don’t feel like pulling out the stove (waking everybody up at ignition), breaking it down, and cleaning it all up, just to make some coffee. We simply walk over and get some coffee and breakfast. We had a couple of “Klondike Quickie” sandwiches, and they were delicious – bacon, egg, cheese, mayo, and a fresh roll. Best thing yet for breakfast!
Nikki found doggies that needed a bit of attention:
Look at this guy! How old do you think he is?
We thought he was a pup, but he is 12, almost 13.
Making our way up the Klondike Highway towards Dawson City:
Here is Nikki trying to figure out how to get Skittles into her mouth with mittens and a helmet on:
Dawson City is a neat little town. A nice mix of Transient Hippie/College kids and tourist shops.
Dawson sits on the convergence of the Yukon and Klondike Rivers. You can see the two different water colors where the meet.
We got to town early, set up camp and went panning for gold.
We’ve got to pay for this trip somehow.
I don’t think we will get too far on those finds.
Dinner was Fish & Chips at Sourdough Joes downtown. Nikki had a burger – she hates the fishes(<-- intentionally spelled wrong). After dinner we searched around for a Canadian flag sticker for the bike, before we ran out of Canada. Super hard to find one. But we ended up with a glittered Canadian Flag, it will have to do.
Camping for tonight looks like this:
a motorcycle journey 2up
- Fortuna, CA to Redding, CA
- Prospect, OR to Fortuna, CA
- Cascade Locks, OR to Prospect, OR
- Kalaloch, WA to Cascade Locks, OR
- Bellingham, WA to Kalaloch, WA
- Ferry Ride South - Haines, AK to Bellingham, WA
- Quick Update
- Haines Junction, YT to Haines, AK
- Gelnnallen, AK to Tok, AK & Tok, AK to Haines Junc...
- Homer, AK to Glennallen, AK
- Wasilla, AK to Homer, AK
- Fairbanks, AK to Wasilla, AK
- To the Arctic Circle
- Greetings from Fairbanks…
- Dawson City, YT to Fairbanks, AK
- Carmacks, YT to Dawson City, YT
- Watson Lake, Yukon to Carmacks, Yukon
- Fort Nelson, BC to Watson Lake, BC
- Dawson Creek, BC to Fort Nelson, BC
- Glacier NP, MT to Lake Louise- Banff National Park...
- Great Falls, MT to Glacier National Park, MT
- Cody, WY to Great Falls, MT
- Devils Tower, WY to Cody, WY
- Badlands SD to Wyoming
- Kansas to South Dakota
- ▼ June (25)