Day 28 - June 27, 2010
Mileage Today: 355
Total Trip Mileage: 7,807
Sunny from the start this morning. That has not happened in quite sometime. We had a pressing matter to attend to this morning.
The problem: When we arrived in Bellingham, WA off of the ferry there were no “Washington” signs, and as you may have noticed, we like to take our picture in front of those signs. We do have a contingency plan to deal with such an event: take the picture of the sign when you leave the state. There were 2 problems with this.
1. We were on I-205 (the equivalent to 635 in Dallas) with no good place to stop.
2. When states are bordered by rivers, they tend to put the signs on the middle of the bridge that crosses that river. Again, no good place to stop.
The solution: Well, as luck would have it, we camped on the Columbia River last night, and that just so happens to be the border between Washington and Oregon. There just happened to be a bridge back across to Washington that we had spotted the previous night while out looking for some dinner.
It was a small local highway, totally do-able.
Too bad they put the sign in the worst possible location, but we made it work (thanks gorilla-pod):
Once that task was completed, we headed back to the interstate via some lovely state highways:
We burned down I-5 for a while, then took some more state highways towards Crater Lake. This is where I encountered the longest straightest road I have ever seen with my own (personal) 2 eyes:
We make it to Crater Lake National Park and start climbing in elevation to reach the summit and view the lake.
Perfectly smooth water. Craziest, most intense blue I have seen, and still snow everywhere.
The reflections were amazing.
Some more angles, as this was the highlight of the day:
And some shots from the way out to find camp:
Beautiful accommodations this evening courtesy of Oregon State Parks:
a motorcycle journey 2up
- Fortuna, CA to Redding, CA
- Prospect, OR to Fortuna, CA
- Cascade Locks, OR to Prospect, OR
- Kalaloch, WA to Cascade Locks, OR
- Bellingham, WA to Kalaloch, WA
- Ferry Ride South - Haines, AK to Bellingham, WA
- Quick Update
- Haines Junction, YT to Haines, AK
- Gelnnallen, AK to Tok, AK & Tok, AK to Haines Junc...
- Homer, AK to Glennallen, AK
- Wasilla, AK to Homer, AK
- Fairbanks, AK to Wasilla, AK
- To the Arctic Circle
- Greetings from Fairbanks…
- Dawson City, YT to Fairbanks, AK
- Carmacks, YT to Dawson City, YT
- Watson Lake, Yukon to Carmacks, Yukon
- Fort Nelson, BC to Watson Lake, BC
- Dawson Creek, BC to Fort Nelson, BC
- Glacier NP, MT to Lake Louise- Banff National Park...
- Great Falls, MT to Glacier National Park, MT
- Cody, WY to Great Falls, MT
- Devils Tower, WY to Cody, WY
- Badlands SD to Wyoming
- Kansas to South Dakota
- ▼ June (25)